December 16, 2019| Press Releases|
1. At the invitation of His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, King of the Kingdom of Bahrain, His Excellency Mr. Imran Khan, Prime Minister of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, paid an official visit to the Kingdom of Bahrain on 16 December 2019. The Prime Minister was accompanied by a high-level delegation.
2. His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa received H.E. the Prime Minister of Pakistan at Sakhir Palace and conferred on the Prime Minister the Bahrain Order – First Class, in recognition of his remarkable leadership, outstanding achievements and contribution to further strengthening relations between the two countries.
3. H.E. the Prime Minister of Pakistan held talks with His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the Crown Prince, Deputy Supreme Commander and First Deputy Prime Minister, at Gudaibya Palace. The Crown Prince also hosted a banquet in honour of the Prime Minister.
4. His Majesty the King expressed appreciation for the contribution made by the Pakistani expatriate community towards Bahrain’s progress and economic development. H.E. the Prime Minister of Pakistan conveyed his deep appreciation to the Kingdom of Bahrain for hosting a large number of Pakistani citizens and expressed hope that Bahrain will continue to employ more Pakistanis across various sectors of the economy.
5. The following documents were signed during the visit:
* MOD on Education, Higher Education and Scientific Research;
* MOD on Medical Sciences
* MOU on Cooperation in Youth Affairs and Sports
6.In light of the existing close ties between the two countries, a wide range of constructive discussions were held. The discussions focused on bilateral, regional and multilateral issues of common interest, with a view to further broadening and deepening bilateral engagement across all mutually beneficial fields. The leaders underscored the importance of further promoting political and economic relations, strengthening cooperation in the fields of public health, energy, education,agriculture, culture and tourism.
7.The two sides welcomed the regular exchange of high-level visits during recent years, and recalled the successful State Visit of His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan on 18-20 March 2014. The two sides noted that this visit laid a strong foundation to build a closer partnership between the two countries, and agreed further to follow up on the implementation of the agreements and the Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) signed during the visit.
8.His Excellency the Prime Minister of Pakistan conveyed his deep appreciation on behalf of the people of Pakistan for the Royal gesture to establish King Hamad Nursing and Associated Medical Science University in Pakistan and agreed to operationalize the University at the earliest possible.
9.Both sides underlined the importance of continuing regular consultations through the existing institutional mechanisms and agreed to hold the second meeting of the Bahrain-Pakistan Joint Ministerial Commission in Manama in the first quarter of 2020.
10.The two sides welcomed the recent signing of an Agreement on Military Cooperation, which Will further Increase the sharing of information, intelligence and assessments.
11.Both sides denounced terrorism in all its forms and manifestations, including state terrorism, and reaffirmed their desire to strengthen cooperation, at both a bilateral and multilateral level, in the fight against terrorism and the financing of terrorism, combating transnational organised crime, combating narcotics, and enhancing cyber security cooperation.
12. Expressing satisfaction regarding the growing economic cooperation between the two countries, both sides recognised the potential for greater trade and commercial exchanges and agreed to take all necessary steps to increase the volume of bilateral trade.
13. In light of the significant role played by investors, the two sides committed to providing favourable environments for investors from both countries and emphasised the need for a regular and timely exchange of information on available investment opportunities. Recognising the enormous growth potential of both economies, the Pakistani side encouraged Bahraini investors to take advantage of the favourable investment environment and consider investing in areas of high potential, including infrastructure development, energy, tourism industry, food processing and services sector. Additionally, the Pakistani side recognised Bahrain as an ideal gateway to GCC markets.
14. The two sides exchanged views on regional and international issues of mutual interest, including the security situation in West Asia and South Asia. Both sides reiterated the importance of striving towards peaceful resolutions of all disputes, in light of international legitimacy and relevant UN Security Council resolutions.
15. Acknowledging the immense commercial potential between Pakistan and GCC countries, Bahrain reiterated its support and commitment to further strengthening cooperation through the preparation of a joint action plan for the strategic dialogue between the GCC and Pakistan, as well as the finalisation of the Pakistan-GCC Free Trade Agreement.
16. His Excellency Mr. Imran Khan, the Prime Minister of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, thanked His Majesty the King, His Royal Highness the Prime Minister and His Royal Highness the Crown Prince for the warm welcome and generous hospitality extended to him and his delegation. The Prime Minister of Pakistan extended invitations to His Majesty the King, His Royal Highness the Prime Minister and His royal Highness the Crown Prince to visit the Islamic Republic of Pakistan at their earliest convenience, which were gladly accepted.
16 December 2019
Last modified: December 27, 2019
Our foreign policy is one of friendliness and goodwill towards all the nations of the world.