(2017-09-20) Mr. Chairman,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Pakistan is deeply concerned over the grave situation of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar.
Hundreds of innocent men, women and children have lost their lives, in what has rightly been described as a ‘text-book’ case of ethnic cleansing. Over 400,000 have been forced toflee their homes and seek protection and shelter in neighboring countries.
The systematic and endemic discrimination against the Rohingya Muslims of Myanmar must end.
The international community must exert its utmost pressure on the Government of Myanmar to stop the carnage of the Rohingyas.
We call upon the Government of Myanmar to:
* Take immediate steps to deescalate the situation, and ensure the safety and security of the Muslim Rohingya population;
* Respect its obligations under international law, and hold to account all perpetrators of violence against the Rohingyas;
* Immediately allow a UN fact finding mission to the country;
* Allow immediate access of humanitarian supplies to the affected areas;
* Create favorable conditions for sustainable and safe return of all Rohingya refugees;
* Grant legitimate rights including citizenship, communal participation and representation and freedom of movement, to the Rohingya, as equal citizens of Myanmar.
As a collective voice of Muslim nations, the OIC must play its leading role as a voice of conscience for our Rohingya Muslim brothers and sisters. You will have Pakistan’s firm and abiding support to this virtuous cause.
Pakistan reiterates its commitment to take full part in any humanitarian effort by the OIC or UN to help the Rohingya Muslims.
I thank you.
September 20, 2017
Last modified: November 19, 2019
Our foreign policy is one of friendliness and goodwill towards all the nations of the world.