MR. ALI HAIDER ALTAF
A Senior Diplomat having 29years of experience in Public Sector, Bilateral and Multilateral Diplomacy focusing on Economic cooperation, Regional trade, Renewable Energy, Climate change and Regional connectivity including Land, Air, Sea and IT. Strong track record of representing Islamic Republic of Pakistan’s in multi- lateral organizations i.e. United Nations(mainly UNESCAP, UNDP, UNIDO, UNFCCC, UNAIDS,) and such as SAARC, ASEAN, MERCOSUR and EU. Having in depth knowledge of Regional and International Geo-Politics and International Affairs. Handled matters of State Protocol in Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Presidency and Prime Minister’s office.
Key Achievements in Diplomatic Missions South Asian Association of Regional Cooperation (SAARC)- Nepal
• Negotiated Framework Agreement of Energy Cooperation among eight South Asian countries.
• Negotiated Framework Agreement on Regional connectivity for trade including
• Represented SAARC organization in United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in 2017,2018 and2019.
• Established digital visa regime for business community in SAARC Member States.
• Negotiated yearly programs between SAARC and Asian Development Bank (ADB) in the year 2018 and2019.
• Represented Pakistan in UNFCCC, Bonn (UN Framework Convention on Climate Change)2011-2014.
• Negotiated successful inclusion of Pakistan in GSP- Plus (Generalized Scheme of
Preferences by EU).
• Lead Pakistan’s initiatives for technical and educational cooperation with Govt. of Deutschland and secured approximately 200 scholarships(DAAD).
• Negotiated free trade agreement between Pakistan and MERCOSUR, Regional organization of South American countries.
• Organized with team the first summit between Pakistan and Brazil in the year2005.
• Represented Pakistan in 14th NAM summit (Non- Aligned Movement) in the year 2006.
• Represented Pakistan in 9th CoP, Rio de Janeiro.
• Digitalization the Consular procedures in the embassy in the year2003.
April 2023 till date, Ambassador of Pakistan to Serbia.
• To implement rules which regulate ceremonial, etiquette and practice according to correct International standards and traditions and customs of Government of Pakistan
• To ensure the abidance of the rules and regulations on immunities and privileges pertaining to diplomatic mission, international ORG and INGO/NGO)
• Accompanied President and Prime Minister on official state visit and also conducted the incoming visits of foreign Presidents and Prime Minister of KSA,UK, USA, Dominica, Azerbaijan, Kuwait, Tajikistan, Russia, Abu Dhabi, UNGA New York, Kazakhstan, Egypt, Hungary, Iraq, Netherland, Italy. Turkey, Uzbekistan, China, Qatar, Spain, Denmark, Afghanistan, Iran, Canada, South Korea, Germany, Kyrgyz.
February 2021- May 2020 Director General (Economic Coordination/ International Cooperation and Organization of Islamic Conference) – Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Pakistan
• Responsible for coordinating with Economic forums such as WEF, WIFE, WTO, UNTACD, UNIDO, UNCITRAL, WB, ADB, TIR, COMSATS and AAIB
• Responsible handling International Cooperation with IMO, IPU, ITU, ICAO, IHO, UPU, WHO, ILO, WIPO, UNWTO, ICDO, UNAIDS, Global Funds and UNOPS
• Under OIC responsibilities managing matters related to Standing Committees such as COMIAC, COMCEC, COMSTEC, IDB, IESCO, ICIC and interfaith dialogue.
• Responsible for coordinating issues and between SAARC Member States in fields of Renewable Energy, Land, Sea& Air transportation and Science &Technology
• Responsible for additional duties of Administration, Finance and Consular matters
• Chef de Cabinet of Secretary General
• Reconstructed the SAARC Secretariat office after Nepal 2015 Earthquake
• Successfully concluded external audits of SAARC every fiscal year until year2020.
• Attended meetings as per SAARC yearly calendar sponsored by UN organizations in various countries mainly USA, Japan, China, South East Asian countries and SAARC member States,
• Negotiated yearly financial AID to SAARC countries from ADB for energy cooperation and connectivity.
May 2014- July 2015 Director General Services-Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Pakistan
• Responsible for Special Projects, Communication & Security, a triple- hat role.
• Managed renovating of high security block of MOFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs,)
• Supervised the relocation of territorial divisions to HSB (high security block).
• Responsible for procuring the communication & security equipment worth value of 70MPKR.
• Handled day to day administration of MOFA, Residential compounds, FSA (Foreign Service Academy)
June 2011- April 2014 First Secretary/ Consular-Embassy of Islamic Republic of Pakistan- Germany
• Represented Pakistan in UNFCCC in the year2011-2013.
• Supervised technical and education cooperation between the two countries.
• Managed consular section of the embassy from2011-2013
• Assisted Pakistan Ambassador in BPC (Bi-lateral Political Consultations)
• Oversee the Economic Diplomacy negotiations in GSP-Plus
September 2009- May 2011Director (Organization & Career Planning- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Islamabad
• Responsible for career planning of MOFA employees
• Responsible for allocation of foreign posts for Pakistan’s mission abroad.
• Allocation of language trainings for junior diplomats.
• Managed MOFA’s educational institutions in Pakistan.
• Training of Pakistani Diplomats abroad.
• Allocation of deputation of Pakistani Diplomats in international organizations.
August 2005- August 2009 First and Second Secretary
Embassy of Islamic Republic of Pakistan- Brazil
• Acted as Deputy Head of Mission in conjunction to CDA(Charge de Affairs)position
• Oversee commercial and economic diplomacy along with defence cooperation
• Responsible for end to end visa and passport issuance process for Pakistani nationals to four South American countries
• Assisted Ambassador in BPC (bilateral Political Consultations) from 2006-2009.
• Represented Pakistan in various International forums in South America
• Negotiated free-trade agreement with MERCOSUR, Regional organization of
South American countries.
• Organized Commerce & Trade, Railways and Overseas Pakistanis’ Ministers meetings
• Coordinated with Pakistanis embassies in Europe for Govt. of Pakistan’s initiatives
• Responsible for coordinating with EU, Brussels related to all diplomatic activities
• Attended Japanese language course In Kansai Koksai Center, Osaka.
• Worked in the Consular section of embassy
• Pakistan Army (1994-2001)-Captain in Pak Army
• Awarded Tamgha-e- Basalat – Gallantry Award(1998)
• Bachelor’s in Science (PMA- University of Peshawar- Peshawar)-1996
• Civil Services Academy –Feb,2000-Nov,2000
• Diploma in International Relations (Foreign Service Academy) – Nov,2000- July2001
• Young Diplomats Course (European Union- Brussels)- May- July2005
• Mid-Career Management Course(National Institute of Management- Lahore) – Feb-June2012
• Mid-level Diplomats Course (Berlin, Germany)- Jan-Dec2013
• Diploma in Security Studies (Daniel K. Inouye APAC Centre for Security Studies-Hawaii) Mar- April2016
• Senior Management Course (National Institute of Management- Karachi) Sept 20-Feb2021
• Mother Tongue – Urdu
• Other Languages – English, Japanese and Portuguese
• Marital Status – Married with 3 kids