The Foreign Service of Pakistan is as old as the country itself. The Foreign Office's, then known as Ministry of External Affairs, started functioning on 15 August 1947th at Mohatta Palace in Karachi. The staff at the time comprised of one Joint Secretary and 40 officials, with 40 under training diplomats. The first batch of Foreign Service was inducted in 1947.
1962, shifted to Islamabad
In 1962, the Ministry of External Affairs was moved to the new capital, Islamabad. It was later housed at the Shehrzad Hotel and renamed as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1964.
The Civil Service Reforms of 1973 led to a change in the nomenclature of the cadre from Pakistan Foreign Service' to Foreign Affairs Group'. In 1983, the Group was renamed as Foreign Service of Pakistan. Foreign Service of Pakistan is an equal opportunity institution. Women diplomats have represented Pakistan through the years with distinction and honour. They have served in all regions of the world at all levels including Ambassadors, Consuls-General and Deputy Heads of Mission. In the Ministry of Foreign Affairs they serve at positions of importance including Spokesperson, Additional Secretaries, Directors General and Directors. Foreign Service of Pakistan provides numerous opportunities for women to excel and to have an outstanding career as diplomats. Providing an ideal work environment for women is a high priority. It includes an environment free of gender discrimination and harassment and providing equal pay and allowances as well as maternity benefits.